Monday, 30 January 2012

How the other half live

Well maybe the other 1% given the current terminology.  I was just reading a short story post on Shrinkies blog.  Her setting is a million miles away from my reality... however once some years back - about 15 I suppose I was asked to work on a specific project by the big, big boss.  It was a very politically exposed position within the company.  Anyway after some combative moments there was a period of enforced harmony dictated by the really big big bosses - we were spending millions on some stuff and they wanted it to work after all.  In part of that I went to a series of meetings in New York - I was regularly there for a while.  As part of the harmony the group I was working with decided to continually show us the best New York could offer and we were taken off to various posh restaurants littered with various celebs - all of whom I didn't know apart from one guy I'd seen who was a USA Americas Cup entrant I believe.

Anyway - we are sat for the meal.  I scan the wine list - nothing under $1000 a bottle!  Madness.  I took my Burton's suit jacket off and put it over my chair.  Instantly a waiter arrives and lays a perfectly washed and ironed best linen napkin over my jacket to stop anything from being spilt on it.  I thank him and look at the guy next to me on the table, who was a good friend who ended up being my last bosses boss at that company and said "Frankly the napkin appears to be worth more than the suit!"

5 comments:

  1. lol, that appears to be a bit above my pay grade as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There are people who have money, and people who are rich."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, not only very witty, but possibly true! I did a double take there when I saw my name up here, sheesh (kicking the dirt with my toes) what a lovely shout-out, thanks for that!

    It's obcene the amount some folk can fritter without a thought or care, isn't it? I knew a few of them back in the 80's, can't say as I'm in touch with them now, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, New York snobs are among the very worst kind - chippy because they wish they were European.

    ReplyDelete