Putting on a play and bad behaviour

On Thursday last week we went to see the play Long Day's Journey Into Night.  My daughter mostly wanted to see it and given it's content (centred on an alcoholic family) and the setting (a house in a part of CT I know very well through my old job) we decided to go and see it. With David  Suchet in the lead role that was another incentive.
I had actually taken the day off and Daughter-of-Furtheron, Son-of-Furtheron and I went to London for the day with the play as the climax. However after about 40 mins there was an odd noise and a light at the back of the set went off followed quickly by all stage lights and then we could hear a fire extinguisher going off!
The play was stopped and after a few more mins we were asked to wait in the foyer. After about an hour it was clear they couldn't restart sadly. However some people were now quite angry and rude. Why? They were going to be at the play all evening so this wasn't upsetting their plans, the staff were clearly busy trying to fix it or get an answer. The best bit was when another announcement to wait was made one angry American lady shouted "you can't go on the ambiance is ruined!"  what!
In the end the ticket agent has booked us for a another performance but the best thing was the people watching really :-)

Comments

  1. Very interesting isn't it, people watching and listening. It takes very little to upset some folk, does this mean they're used to everything running smoothly, I wonder.
    I hope you get to see the next performance right through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long Day's Journey is a tough, tough piece. Long and draining. I saw Kevin Spacey do it several years ago and still remember the night.

    Leave it to the American tourists. Our shining examples that we send overseas to represent us. Bunch of big, pampered, whining babies with money to burn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just about to comment that I was a bit surprised to hear that Brits would be rude under such conditions. Then you mentioned the American and I thought "well there you go - figures.". I'd like to apologize for the borish (sp?) behavior of the inhabitants of my loud mouthed country. So annoying. The ambiance is ruined...cripe. I got yer ambiance right heeerrreee lady! lol. Good that the show was rescheduled! It's a great play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to us Americans to act like idiots while visiting your country...I'll betcha anything they were from my neck of the woods too =PPP

    Sorry you didn't get to see the play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In most shows/plays/concerts I tend to watch the audience rather than the performance. It's often more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In answer to your question, I posted up a list of the most expensive Van Goghs (which means, in effect, those that have changed hands on the open market in the past decades)... with the value nowadays hovering over $100 million, which is about £65 million, and the average UK male earning £1 million over the course of his working life (before tax) you'd have to work for 65 years, spend nothing and pay no tax to buy even a "cheap" one..!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I gave the wikipedia link and full details of all paintings sold chez moi...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear people are getting more rude as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so there was nearly a fire in the theatre, the staff managed to put it out, keep everyone safe, and there was a crabby american in the lobby barking about her ruined evening? [face palm]

    sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

Let's talk plectrums...

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation