Friday, 7 May 2021

GGBO Episode 5 - Back in the game! A rescue of my Great Guitar Build Of...

You can' keep a good man (or an idiot) down!  I start the rescue of my guitar build project for the Great Guitar Build Off 2021 competition as I continue to work on the neck.

Tuesday, 4 May 2021

Great Guitar Build Off Episode 4 - Where Ambition Outstrips Ability

Sadly where it all goes wrong.   This will explain a bit.  Essentially I messed up the neck pocket then with a neck that was not aligned managed to snap a screw off in the neck.  

Thursday, 22 April 2021

Friday, 16 April 2021

Great Guitar Build Off 2021 Episode 2

Second episode in the Great Guitar Build Off 2021 video series is up.  In this episode I finish off routing the body to shape, sand it.... there'll be  lot of sanding in all of this!  Then I turn my attention to the neck sorting out one little niggle and figuring out how I'm going to shape the headstock.  This involves me ending up making new templates and a tool along the way too.

Thursday, 1 April 2021

Great Guitar Build Off 2021 Episode 1

So, yes, I've signed up to the Great Guitar Build Off 2021 competition.
Here's the first of the instalments others will be up in the coming weeks as I make progress. 

Tuesday, 2 June 2020

Mahogany T-Style - quick sound sample

Just mucking about with the new build.

Rhythm was on P90 with a chorus pedal on into a Vox Looper.

Lead part is again the P90 bit of delay and compression on it and boost on the drive channel or my H&K Statesman Dual 6L6 amp.


Wednesday, 20 May 2020

Mahogany T Style Build part 5

First order was to sort out the scratchplate.  I had a single ply black one left over from a previous project so I used that.  I made a paper template to start and used that to cut the larger p90 hole put and adjust around the bridge and control panel.

Then onto wiring in the pickups.  First problem was the hole into the control cavity was too small for the cables to all fit through. Luckily I bought some very long wood drills for this type of problem. I was able to work up through the sizes to get it large enough. 
 
Then to soldering.  Not my favourite exercise and I think I'm rubbish at it.  Still after some deep breaths going a step at a time I got there plugged in for a tap test and blow me down. It all worked properly first time!
On with assembly.  

Ferrules inserted. Defo prefer these "vintage style" much neater to cover any little tear out. 
Finally string up and plug in.  

Well sort off not surprisingly there's a whole host of set up issues needing addressing, the neck has no relief for a start,  nut way too high, bridge way too low.  But for another day I've done enough today.