Getting great milage...

This will no doubt rate as another stunningly boring post in the history of this blog but what the heck...

So the fuel crisis - unbelievable, I won't go into discussing the possibility that this is the most inept government I've ever seen in my life (and I do include the disastrous Jim Callaghan administration of the 70s in that) but you have to say the British public (encouraged by senior politicians) managed to create chaos out of nothing.  So there is no strike planned and if so there is 7 days notice but Dave Cameron says "Fill your car up to be safe" and suddenly there is a 800% increase in fuel sales and all the garages around our area are shut!  Brilliant!

Anyway I had to go to Wales to retrieve Son-of-Furtheron for the Easter break.  I did manage to find one service station with diesel before I left on Saturday morning.  I decided given I didn't know if I could fill up anywhere that I'd drive a little more conservatively.  I set a cruise at 68mph or a limit at same or 58mph depending on the road conditions and cruised a long.  I got to Wales not that discernibly later than normal and it was all more relaxed as I wasn't trying to "make up time".   I couldn't believe what my trip computer said - 68mpg!  I did the same on the trip home although the Welsh not being as flipping stupid as the English had plenty of fuel everywhere it seemed so I did top up but I need not have bothered - still said 68mpg when I got back and I reckon on a tank I could get close to 1000miles!  At least the 600+ round trip would have been doable.  For a large family estate motor can't complain can you - my last trip where I pushed more I only got 55mpg and thought that good.

Also my Bridge Doctor has arrived - so I'll be attacking the 12string when I can find a day to do so and somewhere I can buy the drill I want.  I'd rather buy a new brad bit drill that should limit any chipping as I make the hole in the bridge.  watch this space...

Comments

  1. I heard that you guys had a fuel crisis that wasn't really a crisis. Unbelievable! And I gripe about our fuel costs all the time.

    I hope Easter break with your son is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. impressive! eventually, those folks here in the US driving the monster trucks will have to start paying attention to this crazy "MPG" thing!

    by the way, the motorcycle gets 45-50 mpg...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

Let's talk plectrums...

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation