Gratitude and Guilt

I read this post on Liz's blog.

Sad stories but I instantly felt grateful for where I am in my life, i.e. sober, contented, loved, healthy.... lucky.

I then felt guilty for feeling like that, stupid I shouldn't necessarily feel like that, there's nothing I can do to alter either situation and I know neither of these people except through the mutual understanding of one addicts of anothers pain of addiction.

Reminders however of the road I walk. Today I put one foot in front of the other and deal with life on life's term. I haven't picked up a drink today so far, I can only hope that I don't on a daily basis whilst trying to keep myself focused on a sober day. As they say "There but for the Grace of God" and "One day at a time".

Comments

  1. I like this post, thanks. I am lucky I have not 'suffered' in any major way, but I do try to remind myself of all I have to be grateful for. It's not always an easy thing to remember to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely mustn't feel guilty. You have more reason that most for empathising and being thankful that there but for the grace of God, as am I, as are most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been sober for 33 years now and I often say, "There but for the Grace of God go I." :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

Let's talk plectrums...

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation