The 12 string build - electrics mods

The body and neck finishing is going really well.  I think I've just done the 3rd top coat on both.  I'm going to do at least one more on the body, possibly two and maybe one more on the neck.  I'll decide when I look at them after this latest one has cured off.

In preparation for them being ready for assembly I've turned my attention to the electrics.  I commented at the start of the build a plan for some mods to the electrical circuit - nothing too major but a couple of little tweaks.

Seven sound wiring.  One mod often seen on Strats is to add the two sounds you can't get on a standard 5 way switch with the three pickups.  Namely all three on together and bridge and neck on together.  The way I'm doing this is by just having a simple switch to switch on the bridge pickup no matter what position the 5 position switch is in. Many of the mods show this mod using the neck pickup.  I've favoured the bridge since I'd prefer the bridge only "lead" sound as being available in either combination where as with the normal mod you lose that.

So normal 5 way gives.
  • Neck
  • Neck + Middle
  • Middle 
  • Middle + Bridge
  • Bridge
When activated the switch will give.
  • Neck + Bridge
  • Neck + Middle + Bridge
  • Middle + Bridge
  • Middle + Bridge
  • Bridge
Bridge Tone Control.  Secondly I wanted to have a tone on the bridge pickup so have linked it to the middle tone on the switch.

Some photos!


This shows the switch just fitted.  I measured the diameter of the switch post with a digital calliper - 6mm.  Found the right size drill and a very easy neat job added the switch to the scratchplate.  I had some of these switches lying around from an old model railway I helped my son built some years ago.  Never throw good stuff like this away!


Switch installed before the wiring changes.


Wiring changes completed - In red I've circled the jumper that allows the bridge pickup to "share" the middle tone control.  The two green circles show taking the bridge pickup feed off the 5 way switch via the new one SPDT onto the volume control to put it permanently in circuit.  You may need to click on the photo to enlarge it to see better.

Soon it'll be assembly and set up fun!

Comments

  1. Looks great! Always nice to be able to use parts from earlier projects!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

Let's talk plectrums...

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation