Furtheron Review of the year 2018

Well let me just sum up 2018 in one word - CRAP!

If you follow my other blog you'll know I've been ill all this year with my meniere's disease.  This has led to me taking "early retirement" - well I was made redundant whilst off on long term sick leave.  I'm trying to sort out a pension income in the next few months before the  redundancy payout disappears.  If that's not enough to keep the wolf from the door well... we'll have to cross that rickety bridge if it appears in our path.

I've always done a quick annual review on here so in keeping with that tradition here we go...

1. Gig of the year
Easy to pick as due to the problems with Meniere's going to gigs is now a thing of the past.  The one exception was seeing Black Country Communion last January (almost a year to the day actually) at Hamersmith Apollo.  They were exceptional anyway and may well have won even if I'd been going to a lot of gigs.

2. Album of the year.
Mr Joe Bonamassa's (of the above awarded BCC) latest solo effort Redemption.  Again album purchases down considerably this year but of those I did this is the stand out.  Terrific blues rock at it's best.

3. Book of the year.
Hmm... trickier category.  A tie I think between Peter May's I'll Keep You Safe which was a brilliant twiny - who dunnit - although I did figure out who did it sadly too early.  But still good.  And Robert Galbraith's (JKK Rowling!) Lethal White.  An excellent extension to the saga of Cormoran and Robin and their intertwined lives as they track down another killer.  (Sorry I never wrote a review of that one).  Oh quick mention for Liz Hind's latest one - The Dog Walking Club - I got it for Mrs F as a last minute little Christmas gift.  Her last day of holiday she wouldn't put it down and was annoyed at having to go back to work with it unfinished she states it is "One of those books you just don't want to stop reading".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

Let's talk plectrums...

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation